As we age, so does our skin. Aging skin is associated not only with wrinkles (lines and folds), but also, thinning / fragility, reduced elasticity and unwanted discolorations and or skin growths.
What causes Wrinkles and other changes associated with Skin Aging?
Wrinkles and skin age changes are a function of multiple factors, including:
- Intrinsic aging (aging itself)
- Heredity (some people or families wrinkle more than others)
- Skin type (fair skin types are more susceptible to sun damage)
- Cumulative sun exposure
- Smoking (damages collagen)
- Repeated facial expressions
Other factors may contribute as well, including other diseases or rare genetic conditions, treatments, lifestyle habits, diet, extreme changes in weight, exercise, stress, etc.
How are Wrinkles & Skin Aging changes prevented or minimized?
Stop smoking and using tobacco products. Protect your skin from sunlight by limiting exposure and daily use of sunscreen. Moisturize daily. Do your best to eat healthy, exercise, maintain or work towards your ideal body weight and control your reaction to stress.
Certain wrinkle promoting muscles of facial expression can be reduced with Botox.
How are Wrinkles & other Skin Aging changes treated?
Wrinkles and lines promoted by underlying facial muscle activity are called dynamic wrinkles. Botox (or variants of Botox) work by relaxing the underlying muscles that cause these dynamic wrinkles and lines; thereby, reducing their outward appearance. Also, repeat, regular Botox treatments help prevent dynamic wrinkles from appearing or worsening.
Common face and neck dynamic wrinkles that our cosmetic dermatology providers treat with Botox (or variants) include:
- Frown lines (the vertical lines between your eyebrows)
- Forehead wrinkles
- Crow’s feet (the lateral eyelid lines)
- Under eye wrinkles
- Nasal “Bunny Lines”
- Lip wrinkles
- Smile or laugh lines
- Dimpled chin skin
- Neck bands / lines
Other treatments for these dynamic wrinkles and static wrinkles may include:
- Topical anti-wrinkle creams (e.g. retinoids and others)
- Wrinkle fillers (e.g. Restylane, Juvderm, Radiesse, Sculptra)
- Peeling or sanding of wrinkled areas (with a chemical, laser or dermabrasion)
- Fractionated “peeling” skin treatments (e.g. microneedling or fractional laser resurfacing)
- Other (non-ablative) light-based devices (e.g. intense pulsed or infrared light, photodynamic therapy)
- Other energy-based devices (e.g. radiofrequency, rf microneedling, ultherapy)
- Surgery (e.g. facelift / necklift, etc.)
Other (possibly undesirable) stigmata of skin aging that we can help you with may include:
- Age spots (solar lentigos)
- Other benign skin growths
- Bruising (solar purpura)
It is important to distinguish between benign skin aging spots or growths and skin cancer or pre-malignant skin cancerous lesions.
Our dermatology providers can help you reduce or eliminate your skin wrinkles and or other skin aging related concerns and check to make sure your skin aging changes are not dangerous.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (702) 243-6400 to schedule an evaluation and or treatment consultation with one of our award winning dermatology providers.